Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.18115. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with rendered channelled pier. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber door, and timber fascia over with moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a pair, is an attractive, substantial building that retains its original form to the upper floors. The replacement fittings to the openings do not enhance the appearance of the house, although the shopfront has evidently been designed with reference to traditional forms. The house, together with the second in the pair (22501318/WD-5632-21-330), is an important component of the streetscape of John Street, the tall slender massing identifying the houses on the street.