Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1815. Refenestrated, c.1890. Part refenestrated, c.1990. Now disused and part derelict. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with rendered channelled pier. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash window, c.1890. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990, to top floor. Round-headed door opening with glazed brick surround. Fittings not visible. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front, and ground floor surrounded by timber hoarding.
This house, built as one of a pair, is an attractive, substantial building that retains most of its original form, together with important early surviving salient features and materials. The house, together with the second in the pair (22501319/WD-5632-21-331), is an important component of the streetscape of John Street, the tall slender massing identifying the houses on the street.