Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1830. Refenestrated, c.1880. Reroofed, c.1980. Renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as offices. One of a terrace of four. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1980, clay ridge tiles, red brick (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoined pier. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1880. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber doors, and timber fascia over. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This house, built as part of a terrace of four houses, is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that has been well maintained to the upper floors to present an early aspect. The house retains important early salient features and materials. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (including 22501289/WD-5632-21-301), is an important component of the streetscape of John Street.