Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1830. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1880, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in commercial use to upper floors. One of a terrace of four. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoined piers. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1880. Timber shopfront, c.1880, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber door having mosaic tiled name plate to step, and timber fascia over with consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This house, built as part of a terrace of four houses, is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that has been well maintained to present an early aspect. The house retains important early salient features and materials, including a timber shopfront of artistic interest, together with the remains of a mosaic-tiled name plate. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (including 22501290/WD-5632-21-302), is an important component of the streetscape of John Street.