Categories of Special Interest
1885 - 1890
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey red brick house, built 1889, retaining original aspect and possibly incorporating fabric of earlier house with shopfront to ground floor. One of a terrace of four. Pitched (shared) slate roof with red clay ridge tiles, red brick (shared) chimney stack, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on red brick eaves. Red brick Flemish bond wall to front (north-west) elevation with moulded red brick band to eaves. Unpainted rendered wall to side elevation to north-east. Exposed random rubble stone wall to rear (south-east) elevation. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows having margins. Timber shopfront to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed pane (four-light) timber display window, timber panelled door with overlight, and timber fascia over with moulded cornice. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of four identical houses, is an attractive building of balanced proportions that has been very well maintained to present an original aspect, both to the exterior and to the interior. The exposed rubble stone construction to the rear (south-east) elevation suggests an older building that was refaced with brick in the late nineteenth century. The house incorporates an important early-surviving timber shopfront of artistic merit. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (22501239 - 41/WD-5632-21-249 - 51), is an important component of the streetscape of John Street, and is distinguished by the red brick construction.