Survey Data

Reg No



1900 - 1910




County Waterford


260749, 112311


Attached five-bay two-storey Classical-style Carnegie Free Library with attic, opened 1905, on a corner site with single-bay two-storey chamfered corner bay to south-east, three-bay two-storey side elevation to north-east, and four-bay single-storey return to north-west. Undergoing extensive renovation, 2003, with attic storey added. Flat zinc-lined roof to attic storey with timber eaves. Kilkenny limestone ashlar walls with cut-limestone dressings including full-height Doric pilasters, stringcourses, moulded cornice to first floor, plain frieze with modillioned moulded cornice over having pediment to centre, blocking course, and cut-stone coping. Broken coursed squared rubble limestone walls to return. Round-headed window openings to ground floor with cut-stone sills, stringcourses to spring of arches, and cut-stone voussoirs. Replacement timber casement windows, 2003. Square-headed window openings to first floor with moulded cut-stone sill course, and recessed surrounds. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, 2003. Square-headed door opening with moulded necking forming pilaster motif, inscribed frieze lintel with entablature, replacement timber panelled double door, 2003, and round-headed overlight with glazed timber fitting. Road fronted on a corner site.


This library, built to the designs of Albert Edward Murray (1849 - 1924) on a site donated by Mayor Alexander Nelson (n. d.), is an attractive and balanced composition in a severe Classical style. The construction of the library in limestone ashlar is particularly fine and reveals high quality local stone masonry. Currently (2003) undergoing extensive renovations, including the addition of an extra storey, many of the replacement fittings have been installed with regard to the original appearance of the scheme. The library forms an important and imposing anchor on a corner site linking Lady Lane with Bakehouse Lane. The library is also of significance as one of only five libraries sponsored by Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1919) in County Waterford (with: Ballyduff (22808008/WD-20-08-08); Cappoquin (22810025/WD-21-10-25); Lismore (22809045/WD-21-09-45); Tallow (22818003/WD-28-18-003), and it was apparently his first donation towards the building of libraries in Ireland.