1895 - 1905
Terraced four-bay two-storey double gable-fronted Arts and Crafts building with attic, c.1900, possibly originally two separate buildings retaining original fenestration with shopfront to ground floor. Reroofed, c.2000. Pitched and gabled roof with replacement artificial slate, c.2000, concrete ridge tiles, rendered bargeboards, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.2000, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered surrounds to gables including pediment motifs. Square-headed window openings (in bipartite and four-light arrangement) with moulded rendered sills and entablatures, and rendered intermediary panels to attic. 4/4 timber sash windows. Timber shopfront to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows in tripartite arrangement with round arcade on colonettes, replacement glazed timber double doors, c.2000, and timber fascia over with moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This building, possibly originally two separate units, is an attractive and substantial composition that retains most of its original form and character. The building is distinguished in the centre of Waterford City through its construction in the Arts and Crafts style, together with the fine rendered detailing employed throughout, which is of artistic merit. The building retains many important original salient features and materials, which enhance the character of the composition. The building is an important feature of the streetscape of Michael Street, the gables adding incident to the roofline of the street.