Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Terraced single-bay four-storey house, c.1860, retaining original fenestration with single-bay two-storey projecting end bay with half-dormer attic to east. Renovated, c.1910, with four-bay single-storey flat-roofed advanced pubfront inserted to ground floor having bowed entrance bay to west. Extensively renovated, 2001. Pitched slate roofs with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Flat concrete roof to pubfront behind parapet. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins, and rendered bands to eaves. Square-headed window openings (in bipartite arrangement to main portion) with rendered sills, and moulded rendered surrounds. 1/1 timber sash windows. Timber pubfront, c.1910, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber door in bowed entrance bay having mosaic-tiled name plate to step, and timber fascia over with fluted consoles, and moulded cornice with decorative wrought iron railing over to parapet. Interior remodelled, 2001, to accommodate traditional Victorian scheme with salvaged carved timber fittings of unknown provenance. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled pedestrianised lane to front.
This building is an attractive composition that has been very well maintained to the exterior to retain an early form and character. The building retains important early or original salient features and materials, including a fine timber pubfront that is of artistic merit (as is the mosaic-tiled name plate that alludes to the original title of the establishment). Internally, the remodelled space has been fashioned in a traditional Victorian manner, although it is uncertain which artefacts originate from the building itself. Nevertheless, some fittings, including the carved timber bar, reveal high quality craftsmanship. The building is a well-known landmark in the locality and forms a important anchor site that adds to the character of Arundel Lane.