Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Terraced two-bay four-storey building, c.1890. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof behind parapet with replacement fibre-cement slate, c.1990, clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with moulded cornice having cast-concrete balustraded parapet over with panelled piers having elongated finials. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills and moulded rendered surrounds. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, with elliptical-headed recessed panel having fixed-pane aluminium display windows, and glazed aluminium door. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This building, built as one of an identical pair, is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that retains its original form to the upper floors. The building is distinguished by the rendered detailing to the window openings, and the decorative parapet concealing the roof. However, an inappropriate replacement shopfront, together with replacement fenestration, does not enhance the appearance of the building. The building, together with the second in the pair (22501172/WD-5632-21-178), is an attractive and important component of the streetscape of Broad Street, the shared balustraded parapet adding incident to the roofline of the street.