Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1880 - 1900
Terraced two-bay four-storey building, c.1890, retaining some original fenestration. Renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with moulded cornice having cast-concrete balustraded parapet over with panelled piers having elongated finials. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills and moulded rendered surrounds. 1/1 timber sash windows with replacement timber casement windows, c.1990, to top floor. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, with elliptical-headed recessed panel having fixed-pane timber display window, and glazed timber door. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This building, built as one of an identical pair, is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that retains its original form and character to the upper floors, together with some important original salient features and materials. The building is distinguished by the rendered detailing to the window openings, and the decorative parapet concealing the roof. However, an inappropriate replacement shopfront does not enhance the appearance of the building. The building, together with the second in the pair (22501173/WD-5632-21-179), is an attractive and important component of the streetscape of Broad Street, the shared balustraded parapet adding incident to the roofline of the street.