Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1820. Renovated, c.1895, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Refenestrated, c.1995. One of a terrace of three forming part of a group of five. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1995. Polished marble shopfront, c.1895, to ground floor with pilasters having moulded necking, fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled door with overlight, and timber fascia over with consoles, glazed name plate and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses forming the centrepiece of a group of five houses, is well maintained and retains most of its original form to the upper floors - however, the appearance of the house is not enhanced by the inappropriate replacement fittings to the openings. The house incorporates an attractive early shopfront of artistic significance. The house, together with the remaining houses in the group (22501151, 153 - 5/WD-5632-21-157, 159 - 61), is an attractive component of the streetscape of Arundel Square.