Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1820, on a corner site retaining early fenestration with two-bay three-storey side elevation to north. Reroofed, c.1920. Renovated, c.1970, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair forming part of a group of five. Pitched roof on an L-shaped plan (forming hip to corner) with replacement artificial slate, c.1920, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, square rooflight, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1995, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls over uncoursed squared rubble stone construction (exposed to corner to ground floor with cut-stone quoins). Square-headed window openings with rendered sills and rendered surrounds having moulded entablatures on acanthus consoles to first floor. 1/1 timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1970, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, timber panelled doors with overlights, and timber fascia over with consoles. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, despite alterations to ground floor to accommodate a commercial use, is well maintained and retains most of its original form and character to the upper floors. Built as one of a group of five terraced houses, the house is one of a pair with a further house to the extreme south of the group (22501155/WD-5632-21-161). The house retains important early or original salient features and materials, including decorative render work to the first floor. The house, together with the remaining houses in the group (22501152 - 5/WD-5632-21-158 - 61), is an attractive component of the streetscape, forming the corner linking Arundel Square with Blackfriars Lane.