Categories of Special Interest
1910 - 1915
Terraced two-bay three-storey over basement building, built 1912, retaining original fenestration with shopfront to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows. Cement rendered shopfront to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber door, and fascia over having consoles, raised lettering and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled pedestrianised street to front.
This building, purpose-built by George Nolan (n. d.) as one of a pair to accommodate commercial use to ground floor with residential accommodation over, has been very well maintained to retain its original balanced form, together with important original salient features and materials. The shopfront is of particular importance and incorporates traditional raised lettering. The building, together with the second in the pair (not included in survey), forms an important component of the streetscape of Blackfriars Street.