Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1840, retaining some original fenestration. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as offices to upper floors. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stack, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and moulded rendered surrounds to first floor. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with reeded pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled doors with overlights, and timber fascia over having moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a pair, despite extensive renovations retains its original balanced form to the upper floors. The replacement fenestration does not enhance the appearance of the house, although the shopfront, designed as a symmetrical piece with references to traditional detailing, is an attractive feature of the building. The house, together with the second in the pair (22501106/WD-5632-21-106), is an important addition to the streetscape and represents the continued development of a prosperous merchant's quarter in the centre of Waterford City.