Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1840, retaining some original fenestration. Renovated, c.1890, with openings remodelled to accommodate commercial use. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stack, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and moulded rendered surrounds to first floor. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows with replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1890, to first floor. Square-headed openings remodelled, c.1890, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display windows, timber pilaster doorcase with replacement glazed timber door, c.1990, and timber fascia over having moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a pair, has been very well maintained to present an early aspect. The house retains its original balanced form to the upper floors, together with important original salient features and materials, while the ground floor, remodelled to accommodate a commercial use, presents a simple shopfront of some artistic merit. The house, together with the second in the pair (22501107/WD-5632-21-107), is an important addition to the streetscape and represents the continued development of a prosperous merchant's quarter in the centre of Waterford City.