Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Technical
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced five-bay four-storey house, c.1840, retaining some early fenestration. Extensively renovated, c.1890, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor incorporating fabric of earlier shopfront, c.1900. Now in use as offices to upper floors. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1990, concrete ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves retaining early cast-iron downpipes. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins. Elliptical-headed window openings to first and to second floors with stone sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Square-headed window openings to top floor with stone sills, and 2/2 timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1890, to ground floor incorporating fabric of earlier shopfront, c.1900, with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber doors with overlights, timber fascia over with acanthus consoles and moulded cornice, and cast-iron pillars to interior. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This building is an attractive, substantial composition of regular, balanced proportions and is distinguished by the variety of form to the openings to upper floors. The building retains some important early or original salient features and materials, including the fabric of an earlier shopfront of some artistic interest, together with cast-iron pillars of some technical significance. The building is a positive component of the appearance of the streetscape of Great George's Street.