Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay four-storey house, c.1820, on a corner site with three-bay four-storey side elevation to south. Reroofed, c.1975. Extensively renovated, c.2000, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as offices to upper floors. Pitched and hipped roof on an L-shaped plan (forming hip to corner) with replacement fibre-cement slate, c.1975, clay ridge tiles, red brick chimney stack, iron ridge tiles to hip, and replacement iron rainwater goods, c.1975, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and moulded rendered surrounds. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door having saw-tooth detailing and overlight. Replacement timber shopfront, c.2000, to ground floor possibly incorporating fabric of earlier front with bronze vents to stall risers, fixed-pane aluminium display windows, glazed aluminium doors, and timber fascia over. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete flagged footpath and concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, although extensively renovated leading to the loss of most of the original fabric, retains its original balanced form and is an important anchor site forming the corner linking Barronstrand Street with John Roberts Square. The house retains some early features, including the fittings to the door opening, which contribute to the historic quality of the site.