Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1820, retaining early fenestration. Renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as apartments to upper floors. One of a terrace of three. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and replacement aluminium rainwater goods, c.1970, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber doors with overlights, and timber fascia over with consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses, is well maintained and retains most of its original balanced form and character. The house retains many important early or original salient features and materials, and it is possible that the interior also incorporates early fittings of significance. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (22501069, 2999/WD-5632-21-69, 71), is an important and integral component of the streetscape, continuing the established streetline and roofline of Gladstone Street.