Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1880
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1865, retaining some original fenestration. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as offices to upper floors. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoined piers. Square-headed window openings with consoled rendered sills, and moulded rendered surrounds. 1/1 timber sash windows to first and to second floor with replacement timber casement windows, c.1990, to top floor. Replacement rendered shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display window and glazed timber doors. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that retains its original form and most of its original character to the upper floors. The house also retains important original salient features and materials to this portion. The house is distinguished by the attractive rendered dressings to the openings. However, the replacement shopfront to ground floor is without merit. The house remains an important and attractive component of the streetscape of Gladstone Street, continuing the established streetline and roofline of the terrace.