Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1920
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey Classical-style bank, c.1910, on a corner site retaining original aspect with single-bay three-storey pedimented chamfered entrance bay to south having single-bay two-storey canted oriel window to upper floors, and four-bay three-storey elevation to south-west. Renovated, 2002, with ground floor converted to commercial use. Hipped slate roof on a cranked L-shaped plan behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Limestone ashlar walls with channelling to ground floor, moulded stringcourse over, full-height Composite columns and responsive pilasters to upper floors to chamfered entrance bay, full-height pilasters to ends with entablature, and plain frieze over having modillioned moulded cornice to parapet, and modillioned surround to tympanum to pediment with blocking course over having moulded cornice. Red brick English Garden Wall bond walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings (including to canted oriel window) with cut-limestone sills (on consoles to ground floor) and cut-stone surrounds (with keystones to ground and to top floors, and moulded entablatures to first floor). 1/1 and 6/6 timber sash windows. 1/1 timber sash windows to remainder (with some in tripartite arrangement). Square-headed door opening to chamfered entrance bay under cut-limestone Roman Doric open-bed pedimented doorcase with lugged surround, and timber panelled double doors with medallion and foliate swag over. Square-headed door opening to end bay approached by flight of cut-stone steps with cut-limestone pilaster doorcase, moulded surround, entablature over, and timber panelled door. Interior remodelled, 2002, to ground floor retaining decorative plasterwork to cornices and to ceilings. Road fronted on a corner site with stone flagged footpath to front.
This bank, despite a subsequent change of use, has been very well maintained to present an almost-intact original aspect. The construction in fine limestone ashlar reveals high quality stone masonry, particularly to the decorative detailing, which has retained a crisp intricacy. The bank retains many important original salient features and materials, both to the exterior and to the interior, the latter including delicate plasterwork of artistic merit. The bank is an important component of the streetscape, with one façade fronting on to Gladstone Street and a complementary façade fronting on to O'Connell Street. The bank is also of significance, representing the continued economic prosperity of Waterford City into the early twentieth century.