Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1825, retaining some original fenestration. Renovated, c.1925, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed and renovated, c.1975. Part refenestrated, c.2000. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1975, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and inscribed voussoirs. 6/6 timber sash windows to first floor with replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000, to top floor. Round-headed door opening with timber panelled door and overlight. Timber shopfront, c.1925, to ground floor with pilasters, replacement fixed-pane timber display window, c.1975, and fascia over having moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a pair, is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that retains most of its original from and some of its early character. The house retains some important salient features and materials, while the addition of a traditional Irish shopfront serves to enhance the appearance of the composition. The house, together with the second in the pair (22501063/WD-5632-21-63), is an important component of the streetscape of O'Connell Street, and continues the established streetline and roofline of the terrace.