Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1830, retaining early fenestration. Reroofed and renovated, c.1980, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in commercial use to first floor. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1980, concrete ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins. Square-headed openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows having rounded corners to upper panes. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber panelled doors, and timber fascia over with moulded fluted consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house, built as one of a terrace of three identical houses, is an attractive composition of balanced proportions that has been reasonably well maintained. The house retains its original form to the upper floors, together with important early salient features and materials. The house, together with the remainder in the terrace (including 22501060/WD-5632-21-60), is an important component of the streetscape of O'Connell Street.