Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced three-bay four-storey house, c.1820, on a corner site retaining some early fenestration. Renovated and amalgamated with buildings to north-east and to south-east, c.1970, to accommodate use as hotel. Extensively renovated, 1998, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched roof with replacement fibre-cement slate, c.1970, concrete ridge tiles, and replacement aluminium rainwater goods, c.1970. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with moulded rendered sills and moulded rendered continuous hood moulding to first floor. Replacement uPVC casement windows, 1998, retaining early 1/1 timber sash windows to side (south-west) elevation. Replacement (shared) timber shopfront inserted, 1998, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, paired round-headed windows with fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber panelled double doors, and timber fascia over with dentilated moulded cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
This house, although extensively renovated to accommodate use as an hotel, appears to retain much of its original form and some of its early character. The house retains some important early or original salient features and materials, which enhance the historic quality of the composition. The house is an important component of the streetscape, forming the corner linking Bridge Street with O'Connell Street, and retains a distinctive identity in the hotel complex through the higher pitch of the roof.