Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1850
Terraced three-bay four-storey house, c.1835, retaining original fenestration. Renovated, c.1985, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.2000, on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered channelled piers. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills, and moulded rendered surrounds to first floor. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Square-headed door opening with rendered surround comprising fluted pilasters with foliate motif to necking and moulded entablature over. Replacement timber panelled door, c.1985, with overlight. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1985, comprising panelled piers with fixed-pane timber display window having timber fascia over with consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
This house, which has been very well maintained, is an attractive substantial composition of balanced proportions and reserved Classical detailing. The house retains most of its original from and character, with important early or original salient features intact. The replacement shopfront serves to compliment the entire scheme, and is a positive addition to the design. The house is of significance, having probably been built as a merchant townhouse as suggested by its close proximity to the Chamber of Commerce (22501514/WD-5632-21-532). The house contributes positively to the streetscape of Gladstone Street, continuing the established common streetline and roofline of the terrace.