Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
End-of-terrace two-bay four-storey house, c.1790, on a corner site with five-bay four-storey side elevation to north-west. Extensively renovated, 1898, and possibly extended forming present composition. Reroofed and renovated, 1998, with ground floor partly remodelled. Now in use as offices. Hipped roof with replacement artificial slate, 1998, concrete ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, replacement square rooflights, 1998, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with raised lettering to first floor. Replacement limestone ashlar front, 1998, to ground floor front (north-east) elevation with pilasters, moulded stringcourse, fascia and moulded cornice. Shallow segmental-headed window openings to ground and to first floor with stone sills. Square-headed window openings to remainder with stone sills. Replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, 1898. Square-headed openings remodelled, 1998, to ground floor front (north-east) elevation with fixed-pane timber display window and glazed timber door. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house is an attractive and substantial composition of balanced proportions that retains most of the early features dating to a nineteenth-century period of renovation. The house, together with a house of similar appearance immediately to south-east (22500328/WD-5632-16-318), is an important component of the streetscape of Merchant's Quay, forming the corner leading to Hanover Street.