Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1800
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1790. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1865, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as offices. Hipped slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. Replacement 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows, c.1865. Timber shopfront, c.1865, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, clay tiled entrance, glazed timber door with overlight, timber panelled door with overlight, and timber fascia over with fluted consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, which has been very well maintained to present an early aspect, is an attractive substantial composition of balanced Georgian proportions. Renovated in the mid nineteenth century, the house has been little altered since and retains many important salient features and materials from that period. Foremost amongst these is the attractive shopfront, which incorporates a clay tiled panel to the entrance. The house is an attractive and important component of the streetscape of Merchant's Quay and is of significance, representing an early-surviving example of the conversion of townhouses on the quay to part commercial use.