Categories of Special Interest
1760 - 1780
Terraced three-bay four-storey house, c.1770, with single-bay four-storey return to south-west. Refenestrated, c.1845. Renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Painted rendered walls with rendered channelled piers. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and moulded rendered surrounds to first and to second floor. Replacement 6/6 timber sash windows, c.1845. Replacement yellow brick shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display windows in tripartite arrangement, glazed timber panelled double doors with overlight, and timber fascia over with pedimented consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house, despite the addition of an inappropriate shopfront to ground floor in the late twentieth century, retains most of its original balanced form and early character. The house also retains some important early features and materials, including mid nineteenth-century fenestration. The house is an important feature in the streetscape of Merchant's Quay and contributes to the varied roofline of the street.