Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1780
Terraced three-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1765. Renovated, c.1965, with openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use. Reroofed and refenestrated, c.1990, to accommodate use as apartments to upper floors. Pitched roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1990, concrete ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered dressings including quoined piers, moulded stringcourses over openings to ground floor, and rendered coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Segmental-headed door opening to left ground floor approach by three cut-limestone steps with cast-iron boot scraper, moulded rendered surround, timber doorcase with foliate consoles, timber panelled door and overlight. Square-headed openings remodelled, c.1965, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display window and glazed timber door with overlight. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house is an attractive eighteenth-century townhouse composed of balanced proportions. Renovated in the late twentieth century leading to the loss of most of the original fabric, the house nevertheless retain some of its original form with the exception of remodelled openings to the ground floor. The house retains important early fittings to the door opening and is enlivened by subtle render decorative motifs. The house is an important component of the streetscape of O'Connell Street and forms part of a group of merchant townhouses on that street.