Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house, c.1820, on a corner site retaining early fenestration. Extended, c.1920, comprising two-bay single-storey return to south-west. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.1995, with pair of replacement shopfronts inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with red clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1995. Roofs to return not visible. Painted rendered walls with slate-hung side elevation to north-west. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1995, to rear (south-west) elevation. Replacement timber shopfronts, c.1995, to ground floor with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber double doors with overlights, and timber fascia over with consoles and dentilated cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
This house, which has been reasonably well maintained, is an attractive middle-size composition of balanced proportions and symmetry. The house retains many important early or original salient features and materials, and the slate-hanging is of particular interest. The replacement shopfront serves to complement the entire scheme. The house is an important component of the streetscape, forming the corner site linking O'Connell Street with Hanover Street.