Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1820. Renovated, c.1895, with openings remodelled to ground floor. Extensively renovated and amalgamated with buildings to north-west and to south-east, 1998, to accommodate use as hotel. Hipped and pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, 1998, concrete ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, 1998. Painted rendered walls to upper floors with rendered strips to ends. Painted replacement rendered wall, c.1895, to ground floor with channelling, rendered quoins and rendered course to first floor. Square-headed window opening to ground floor with rendered sill, surround, and shallow segmental pediment over on moulded entablature. Replacement 1/1 timber sash window, c.1895. Square-headed window openings to remainder with rendered sills (sill course to first floor) and rendered surrounds, 1998. Replacement uPVC casement windows, 1998. Shallow segmental-headed door opening with rendered surround, c.1895, and shallow segmental pediment over on consoled moulded entablature. Replacement timber panelled door, 1998, with leaded stained glass overlight. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This house, which has been extensively renovated over the years leading to the loss of most of the original fabric and some of the original character, retains some of its original balanced form to the upper floors. The house also retains some important early features and materials to the ground floor, including the dressing and fittings to the window opening. The house forms an important component of the streetscape of Merchant's Quay, continuing the common streetline of the street while contributing to the varied roofline of the terrace.