Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced four-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1850, possibly originally two separate two-bay three-storey houses. Extensively renovated, c.2000, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor having apartments over. Pitched roof (gabled to dormer attic windows) with replacement artificial slate, c.2000, concrete ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks having dentilated detailing, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.2000, on moulded cornice. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins, moulded course to second floor and moulded cornice. Shallow segmental-headed window openings with sills concealed to first floor, moulded sill course to second floor, and moulded reveals. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000. Replacement timber shopfront, c.2000, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows on panelled stall risers, timber panelled doors and double doors with overlights, and timber fascia over with cornice. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
This building, possibly originally two separate houses, has been extensively renovated in the late twentieth century leading to the loss of most of the original fabric and some of the original character. However, the original balanced form appears to remain intact to the upper floors, although this is not reflected in the replacement shopfront to ground floor that is of little design merit. The building remains an important component of the streetscape and is distinguished by the subtle render detailing to the upper floors.