Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1820, on an L-shaped plan on a corner site with two-bay three-storey return to north-west having single-bay two-storey end bay. Renovated, c.1870, with shopfront inserted to right ground floor. Reroofed, c.1970. Refenestrated, c.1995. Pitched roof on an L-shaped plan (former hip to corner) with replacement artificial slate, c.1970, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, timber eaves, and cast-iron rainwater goods on iron brackets. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills and moulded rendered surrounds to ground and to first floor. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1995. Segmental-headed door opening with moulded rendered surround, timber columnar doorcase, timber panelled door and spoked fanlight. Timber shopfront, c.1870, to right ground floor with plain pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber door, and timber fascia with decorative consoles and moulded cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front and section of wrought iron railings to corner.
This house is an attractive middle-size composition of balanced proportions and symmetrical design that retains most of its original form and some of its original character. The house retains some important early or original salient features and materials, including the fittings to the door opening, and an early-surviving traditional shopfront of artistic significance. However, the visual appeal of the house is not enhanced by the inappropriate replacement fenestration. The house is an important component of the streetscape, forming the corner linking Bridge Street with Mary Street.