Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1830 - 1840
Detached T-plan church, built c. 1835, with three-bay nave, single-bay transepts, with sacristy to south-east and three-stage tower to west and porch to gable of south transept. Roughcast rendered walls, smooth rendered to tower. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and with cross finials to gables. Stepped rubble limestone parapet and stone string course to tower. Pointed arch window openings with mullioned traceried sash windows with stained glass. Doorway to west end of south wall of nave, accessed by flight of steps. Carved timber reredos with crocketed pinnacles. Carved timber altar rail. Timber panelled double doors to interior of entrance. Gallery over entrance end of nave with columns supported moulded cornice and carved timber rail. Braced collared timber truss roof with ceiling.
The simplicity of the form and detail of the church provides a positive contrast with the scale and detail of the tower at the entrance. Artistic detailing is apparent in the execution of the stained glass windows, and the timber gallery within the church. The church makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.