Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Detached castellated country house, built c.1840, comprising two-storey block with single-storey block to west end of south elevation. Front consists of symmetrical three-bay block with higher central projecting entrance bay, with stepped buttresses to corners surmounted by polygonal turrets, with later bay to south end terminated by round corner tower. South elevation consists of four-bay single-storey block, three-storey tower with round turret to corner and terminated to east by mainly blank wall with round tower to corner. Pitched artificial slate roof, hidden by battlemented parapets, with turret chimneystacks. Roughly-dressed limestone walls having cut limestone dressings. Square-headed mullioned openings with chamfered cut limestone surrounds, five-light to ground floor and two and three-light to first floor of front, with replacement casement windows. Cut limestone and timber mullioned openings to south elevation and with loops to towers and turrets. Timber panelled door set in double-height recess, with machicolation and with four-centred arch opening with chamfered punch-dressed limestone surround, with segmental relieving arch. Segmental integral carriage arch to south elevation with replacement double-leaf door. Yard of rubble limestone outbuildings to site.
Architectural design and detail are immediately apparent in the form and construction of this substantial and imposing house, which is an interesting domestic example of the Gothic Revival style in Ireland. The form of the building is enhanced by the retention of many original features and materials, such as the stone mullioned windows and ashlar limestone dressings. It forms a formidable silhouette in the surrounding landscape.