Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
In Use As
1855 - 1865
Detached two-bay single-storey gate lodge with attic, built c.1860, with rectangular bay window to north gable and recent single-storey lean-to extension to rear. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron crestings, eaves brackets and gabled dormer to front. Cut-stone coping stones to gables and cut-stone chimneystack. Ashlar limestone walls with string course to bay window. Replacement timber windows and doors having chamfered cut-stone surrounds and sills. Limestone gateway consists of carved stone gate piers having bow-tell mouldings to corners and stepped caps, flanked by carved pedestrian entrances with chamfered surrounds and shouldered lintels with cut-stone copings. Snecked limestone boundary walls with cut-stone coping.
The gate lodge and main gateway to Derrylahan Park. The main house, built in 1862, burnt in 1921 and no longer standing, was designed by Sir T. N. Deane, who is likely to have also been responsible for the associated buildings. Built of very high quality materials and craftsmanship, the lodge and gateway have survived intact and give an indication of the quality of the house to which they belonged. The farmyard buildings of the demesne are located to the south of this entrance.