Categories of Special Interest
Redwood Catholic Chapel
In Use As
1850 - 1855
Freestanding gable-fronted single-cell Catholic church, built 1853, with four-bay side walls, porch to west end and sacristy to east end. Pitched artificial slate roofs to church and porch, with slate roof and cut-stone chimneystack to sacristy. Squared coursed rock-faced limestone walls having pilasters at corners and separating windows. Lime render to part of north elevation and pebble dash to sacristy. Round-headed window openings with cut-stone voussoirs and sills. Stained-glass to windows in east end of long walls, with timber frames, two-over-two pane timber sliding sash window to sacristy, replacement timber window to porch and replacement uPVC elsewhere. Replacement glazed doors to porch. Limestone piers with cast-iron gates to roadside.
This modest church is of good quality construction and occupies a prominent position on an elevated site overlooking many miles of countryside. The form and proportions of the church are intact, as are the stained-glass windows and small slate roof of the sacristy, all of which help to inform of the original character and appearance the building.