Survey Data

Reg No

22312044


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1735 - 1740


Coordinates

212685, 158659


Date Recorded

22/07/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay three-storey house, dated 1736, with later second storey addition. Now in use as shop. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Lined-and-ruled rendered walls having decorative render quoins. Square-headed one-over-one pane timber sash windows having decorative render surrounds and cornices, with limestone sills to first floor and plat band serving as sill-course to second floor. Shopfront consists of timber-framed plate glass and fixed windows and centrally-sited glazed timber door, flanked by timber pilasters having decorative consoles supporting timber fascia with dentils and cornice and painted lettering. Date stone to upper front wall.

Appraisal

It is apparent that this building was extended upwards during its history and the windows appear to have been remodelled at the same time. Interestingly, the cornices on the first floor differ from the second floor, and there is a limestone eaves course still visible where the quoins terminate, having the date stone. The shopfront is a striking example of a timber shopfront with elegantly-carved foliate consoles and tall plate-glass windows.