Survey Data

Reg No

22303105


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Social


Original Use

School


Date

1840 - 1850


Coordinates

213614, 188831


Date Recorded

27/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Seven-bay three-storey former school, built c.1845, with advanced gable-fronted former entrance bay to east elevation and lean-to extension to west. Now disused. Hipped and pitched slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks and ashlar limestone eaves course. Coursed rubble and rendered walls with stone string courses. Former entrance bay altered with removal of original openings and insertion of recessed panel. Square-headed openings with timber sliding sash windows having dressed stone surrounds and with replacement metal windows to former entrance bay, with cut-stone oculus above.

Appraisal

This large well-constructed stone building is one of a number of interesting buildings within a former school complex. Its imposing form is emphasized by the central breakfront and the fa├žade is further enlivened by stone string courses and the varied window surrounds.