Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Social Technical
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Freestanding public fountain, c.1860, re-sited from Main Street/Castle Street junction c.1925, comprising decorative cast-iron tiered centrepiece having human figures and birds, and octagonal-plan ashlar limestone surround having moulded plinth and rim. Pair of cast-iron gas lamp standards to opposite sides of rim.
This fountain provides a focal point for Rosemary Square and is a recognizable and well-known feature in the urban landscape. Its finely-executed stone and cast-iron are clearly the work of skilled craftsmen. The retention of gas lamp standards adds interest to the feature. It now graces Rosemary Square, having formerly stood more centrally within the town of Roscrea.