Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Corner-sited end-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, built c.1880, with chamfered northwest corner, timber shopfront to west elevation and two-bay two-storey return to south elevation. Now in use as shop and retail outlet. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with render quoins. Timber sliding sash two-over-two pane windows with stone sills and render surrounds. Timber half-glazed door with render surround. Shopfront comprising timber pilasters with fascia, consoles and cornice, having plate glass window with timber surround and timber half-glazed panelled door.
This modest building is prominently sited at the junction of The Mall and Castle Street and is part of a two or three-building row with similar detailing. The chamfer, render details and the contrast between the round-headed doorway and the square-headed windows adds visual interest. The shopfront to the gable indicates the dual role of the building.