Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1855 - 1860
End-of-terrace five-bay two-storey purpose-built bank, built 1858-9. Pitched slate roof with stone parapet. Red brick to first floor with moulded eaves cornice, and ashlar limestone walls with quoins and string course to ground floor. Timber sliding sash six-over-six pane windows throughout, with stone surrounds and cornices to first floor, flanking tripartite timber sliding sash window with pilasters, consoles and cornice. Segmental-arch door opening with moulded keystone, having recessed double-leaf timber half-glazed door with over-light, sidelights, carved stone surround and approached by flight of steps. Area to front with railings.
This building is of apparent architectural quality and occupies a place among a number of similarly well-executed buildings in Roscrea. It offers diversity of texture and materials to the streetscape and the finely-crafted quoins, window surrounds and cornice to the first floor contrast with the finely-crafted, yet simple, ashlar to the ground floor.