Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced five-bay three-storey neo-classical style bank, built c.1870, with slightly advanced end bays and single-bay single-storey extension to southeast having integral carriage arch. Now also in use as office. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and stone parapet. Ashlar sandstone walls with channelled rusticated sandstone to central ground floor bays and with sill course to first floor. Segmental-arch openings to second floor, depressed-arch openings with raised surrounds to first and round-arch openings with voussoirs to ground, all recessed and having timber sliding sash windows and stone sills. Round-headed door openings with stone surrounds with rope moulding and decorative keystones, fanlights and with timber battened doors and stone steps. Sandstone segmental-headed carriage arch with timber battened double-leaf door and dressed stone voussoirs.
This building is of apparent architectural quality and occupies a place among a number of similarly well-executed buildings. Carved elements, such as the doorcases and rope mouldings, enliven the solid stone construction. The masonry and detailing are clearly the work of skilled craftsmen and the diversity of treatment of the stone as well as the diversity of openings add interest to the structure.