Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social

Original Use


In Use As

Community centre


1925 - 1935


191631, 194152

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached single-storey gable-fronted memorial hall, built c.1930, having dormer attic, three-bay front, and seven-bay side elevations, separated by buttresses. Pitched slate roof with flat-roofed dormer windows to each slope and cut limestone coping to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Pebble-dashed walls with cut limestone quoins, buttresses and plinth. Small-pane metal casement windows in cut limestone surrounds to ground floor with metal casements to dormer attic. Round window to front gable having cut limestone surround and hood-moulding. Timber panelled double-leaf door in doorcase of cut and rusticated limestone in segmental-headed porch opening with limestone steps and incorporating engraved limestone plaque. Rusticated limestone plinth wall with railings to front of site.


The closely-spaced dormer windows, monumental doorcase and cut-stone details give this hall a distinct character and architectural style unlike any other building in the town. Although in need of some repair the majority of original features have been retained, including the metal casement windows and small slates to the roof.