Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1845 - 1855
Detached workhouse complex, built c.1850, comprising four two and three-storey blocks, having large courtyards between them, and two single-storey buildings. Now partly in use as courthouse and school. Hipped slate roofs to main blocks, with pitched slate roofs to single-storey blocks, and rendered brick chimneystacks. Rendered limestone walls having cut-stone plinths, vents, door surrounds and sills. Two southern blocks to road re-rendered with pebble dash and modernised. Segmental-headed window openings with brick surrounds and timber battened doors with multiple-pane over-lights. Interior of dormitory blocks retain many intact features.
This workhouse serves as a reminder of the work of the Poor Law Unions in housing and caring for the destitute of Ireland in the mid-nineteenth century. The workhouses were built throughout Ireland to similar plans but on different scales to the designs of George Wilkinson following the passing of the Poor Relief (Ireland) Act in 1838. The survival of many original features and materials, including lime render, cut-stone details, doorways and slate roofs help to portray the original character of this complex of buildings. The retention of much interesting interior detail makes the complex of immediate social history importance. This workhouse is also the most intact remaining in North Tipperary.