Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1950 - 1955


194636, 117735

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Freestanding gable-fronted Roman Catholic church, dated 1952, having altar to north end, six-bay nave elevation, two-stage tower to west end of front elevation, flat-roofed confessional projections to side elevations of nave, and having flat-roofed single-storey sacristy to north end of east elevation. Pitched slate roof, with cast-iron rainwater goods and having concrete cross finial over gable-front, and with pyramidal copper roof to tower. Wetdashed rendered walls with rendered plinth, square-headed niche to tower with statue of Virgin Mary. Timber windows, triangular-headed over entrance, square-headed transomed and mullioned elsewhere, with stained glass, concrete sills and render surrounds. Square-headed door opening with timber battened double-leaf door with decorative mosaic overdoor with date 1952, and having cantilevered concrete canopy overhead. Concrete steps and ramp to entrance, with steel railings. Interior of church has gallery over rendered screen, rendered concrete portal frame roof supports, and marble altar furniture with cantilevered canopy overhead. Graveyard to site. Rendered walls and piers with steel vehicular and pedestrian gates to site entrance.


Although modern materials and building techniques are used, this church maintains several of the traditional elements of Roman Catholic church architecture. The steeply-pitched roof, the tall windows with their cross motif glazing bars, and the emphasis given to the entrance all make the ecclesiastical nature of this building evident. On the interior, the pointed arch motif provides a rhythm and definition to the nave. The simplified forms of the Eucharistic emblems used in the mosaic and stained glass form a coherent scheme with the candidly modern architectural forms. Its height, detached form and siting at a junction make it a significant architectural contributor to the village of Burncourt.