Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Ruined Board of First Fruits-style Church of Ireland church, built c.1815, having three-bay nave elevations and three-stage west tower. Dismantled 1878 and now roofless. Rubble limestone walls, blank to north except for blocked opening, with tower having cut-stone string courses, corbel table, pinnacles and crenellations. Blank dressed limestone plaque over doorway in tower. Pointed-arch window openings, with some square-headed openings to tower, with some chamfered limestone surrounds remaining. Graveyard and ruined medieval church to site. Rubble limestone boundary walls with stile and roughly-dressed piers and cast-iron gates to site.
Although ruinous, this church retains carved stone features which show evidence of high-quality nineteenth-century craftsmanship. The simple nave and square-plan tower are typical of the First Fruits style. It makes an interesting group with the older church, the graveyard it stands in and the nearby former rectory. Visible from a distance, it adds interest to the surrounding landscape.