1840 - 1845
Detached five-bay two-storey former mechanics institute, built 1841, now in use as town hall, with lower two-storey block to rear. Roof not visible from street. Painted rendered wall with painted rendered plinth to façade, unpainted elsewhere. Pediment-style detail to parapet, moulded eaves course, moulded string courses, render panel details, engaged Roman Doric giant order pilasters flanking openings and engaged columns flanking entrance bay. Square-headed window openings to first floor with replacement uPVC windows, round-headed to ground floor with timber sliding sash six-over-six pane windows with spoked fanlights, all having stone sills. Segmental-headed entrance opening with replacement timber double leaf door, sidelights and fanlight. Accessed via flight of limestone steps. Coursed limestone plinth and wrought-iron spearhead railings to street boundary terminating in coursed capped limestone piers.
Significant public building with a lively façade due the variety in openings and giant order pilasters and columns. The form and style of the pediment, together with the colour scheme of the façade create an Art Deco-style impression and belie the solemn function of this structure.