Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1840 - 1870
Detached five-bay two-storey mechanics' institute, built 1841 and converted to town hall in 1866, with lower two-storey block to rear. Roof not visible from street. Painted rendered wall with painted rendered plinth to façade, unpainted elsewhere. Pediment-style detail to parapet, moulded eaves course, moulded string courses, render panel details, engaged Roman Doric giant order pilasters flanking openings and engaged columns flanking entrance bay. Square-headed window openings to first floor with replacement uPVC windows, round-headed to ground floor with timber sliding sash six-over-six pane windows with spoked fanlights, all having stone sills. Segmental-headed entrance opening with replacement timber double leaf door, sidelights and fanlight. Accessed via flight of limestone steps. Coursed limestone plinth and wrought-iron spearhead railings to street boundary terminating in coursed capped limestone piers.
This former educational building, now the town hall, may incorporate fabric of the savings bank indicated on the 1840 Ordnance Survey map. It has a lively façade, due the variety in openings and giant order pilasters and columns. Its classical style and freestanding situation make it one of the more notable buildings in the town.