Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1840
Detached L-plan six-storey brewery, built c.1830, with nine-bay front elevation, fourteen-bay east elevation and three-bay return elevations. Now in use as offices, with replacement concrete perron to front elevation. Rendered partly crenellated parapet walls and cast-iron railings to roof. Rubble sandstone walls with cut sandstone quoins. Segmental-arch openings with red brick voussoirs and replacement timber windows, timber louvers to ground floor openings. Elliptical-arch door opening with dressed sandstone voussoirs, keystone, imposts and block-and-start surround and replacement timber door. Elliptical-arch door openings to east elevation with dressed sandstone voussoirs, imposts, keystones and block-and-start surrounds and replacement timber doors, both approached by flight of rendered steps with cast-iron railings.
This large-scale former brewery, though extensively renovated, retains much of its original form, that is typical of the brewery type. It is a very imposing feature on New Quay and narrow Nelson Street. Its regular façade is enlivened by the crenelated parapet and the perron, as well as by the arched window and door openings. Like the former brewery building on Nelson Street.