Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1845
Detached six-bay five-storey warehouse with attic floor, dated 1842, having three-bay gable front. Now disused. Pitched slate roof, having brick chimneystack to south elevation. Rubble sandstone walls with limestone eaves course and dressed sandstone quoins, blank to south elevation. Segmental-arch window openings throughout, except for one barred square-headed opening in gable front with brick surround and tooled limestone sill, with brick voussoirs and some with timber casement windows. Elliptical-arch entrance with replacement timber doors, painted cut limestone jambs, voussoirs, keystone with date, imposts and having limestone step.
This large-scale building, though now disused, retains its original form. It makes an imposing addition to narrow Abbey Street and shows evidence of fine stonework in the structure of the walls and the door surround. The date-stone adds contextual information.